laco seal
Department of Public Works
Go to DPW home
Collage of various services by Public Works

What is Sharps Waste?



Safely Manage your SHARPS WASTE
  • The proper way to dispose of sharps waste is to use only State-approved sharps containers. Check availability at the County designated distribution sites or ask your pharmacist or doctor about them.

  • When your sharps container is about 3/4 full, seal it securely.

  • Keep your sharps containers out of reach of children and pets.

  • Bring your filled sharps waste container to a County designated collection site.


  • Flush your sharps waste or medications down the toilet or drain.

  • Place your sharps waste in the trash, green waste, or recycling bin.

  • Put needles into used plastic milk jugs, bleach bottles, or soda bottles.

    Do the right thing and save your environment —dispose of your sharps waste properly!

When your container is 3/4 full, return it to any of the collection sites listed below for proper disposal.
*Containers are not available at this location.

Program for residential use only. Business waste not allowed.

HHW mobile collection events

AVECC (Antelope Valley)
1200 W. City Ranch Rd., Palmdale, 93551

EDCO Recycling and Transfer Center (Signal Hill)
2755 California Ave, Signal Hill, 90755

City of Los Angeles S.A.F.E. centers

Los Angeles County Dept. of Public Health

*Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department

City of Santa Monica
Household Hazardous Waste Home Collection Program (800) 449-7587
Distribution & collection of sharps containers from your home

Pick up your FREE sharps container at any of the following distribution sites.
(Containers are limited to one per person per visit, while supplies last.)
  • Goodwill stores

  • City of West Covina
    Senior Citizens Center, 2501 E. Cortez Ave., West Covina, 91791
    City Maintenance Office, 825 S. Sunset Ave. West Covina, 91793

  • City of Monrovia
    City of Monrovia Public Works, 600 S. Mountain Ave., Monrovia, 91016
    Monrovia City Hall, 415 S. Ivy Ave., Monrovia, 91016

  • City of Norwalk
    Social Services Center, 11929 Alondra Blvd., Norwalk, 90650 (562) 929-5544
    Hours: Monday to Friday - 8am to 5pm

    Norwalk Senior Center, 14040 San Antonio Dr., Norwalk, 90650
    Hours: Monday to Friday - 8am to 5pm

  • City of Lakewood
    Lakewood City Hall, 5050 Clark Ave., Lakewood, 90712

  • City of Sierra Madre
    Sierra Madre Senior Center, 222 W. Sierra Madre Blvd., Sierra Madre, 91024

  • City of Torrance
    Health Care Partners Medical Group, 3565 Del Amo Blvd., Torrance, 90503 (310) 793-4647
    Hours: Monday to Friday - 8am to 5pm

  • City of Long Beach
    Ward's Pharmacy, 653 Long Beach Blvd., Long Beach, 90802

  • City of Redondo Beach
    City of Redondo Beach Public Works, 531 N. Gertruda Ave., Redondo Beach, 90277

  • City of Hawthorne
    Hawthorne City Hall, 4455 W. 126th St., 2nd Floor (Engineering Counter), Hawthorne, 90250

  • City of El Segundo
    City of El Segundo, Public Works Department, 350 W. Main St., El Segundo, 90245

  • City of Burbank Recycling Center
    500 South Flower St., Burbank, 91502

  • Hubert Humphrey Health Center
    Room 1079-Diabetes Clinic,
    5850 South Main St., Los Angeles, 90003

  • Los Angeles County Dept. of Public Works
    900 S. Fremont Ave., Annex Building – 3rd Floor, Alhambra, 91803
    (Closed on Fridays)

  • Do the right thing and save your environment —dispose of your sharps waste properly!
    Upon 72 hours’ notice, Public Works can provide program information and publications in alternate formats or make other accommodations for people with disabilities. In addition, program documents are available at our main office in Alhambra (900 S. Fremont Ave., Annex 3rd Floor), which is accessible to individuals with disabilities. To request accommodations ONLY or for more Americans with Disabilities Act information, please contact our departmental Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator at (626) 458-4081 or TDD at (626) 282-7829, Monday through Thursday, from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

    The County offers a mail-back Sharps waste disposal program that is limited to ONLY elderly and disabled residents. To request a mail-back container, please call our hotline at 1 (888) CLEAN LA.

    HHW  Schedule

    To report illegal dumping, or for more information about Household Hazardous Waste and alternative products, call 1(888)CLEAN LA.
    Managed by the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Works, Environmental Programs Division
    Toll Free Phone Number: 1(888) CLEAN LA
    Clean LA Home| Clean LA FAQ| About Clean LA| Clean LA Site Index| Contact Clean LA