LACoMAX is a free service provided by the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Works,
Programs Division. The primary goal of LACoMAX is to conserve landfill space
by helping businesses, residents, organizations, and institutions find alternatives to the
disposal of valuable materials which are presently discarded as waste.
Users of this on-line materials exchange service can browse or post
listings of a wide variety of available and wanted materials. Listings are categorized
by 15 material classifications and 6 regions and include common items such as wood
pallets, out-of-fashion textiles, and chemicals as well as more uncommon items.
The listings also contain contact information, allowing you to make direct contact
with the listing party. All exchanges are coordinated between the two interested
Use this on-line service to find something you need, to make available something
you have (or will have), or to spot an entrepreneurial opportunity in someone else's
By using LACoMAX, Los Angeles County businesses and communities benefit in the following
- Dwindling landfill space is conserved as materials are diverted from disposal for
reuse or recycling
- Schools and nonprofit organizations receive desperately needed materials at little
or no cost
- Disposal costs are reduced for generators of discarded materials
- Economic development is promoted as discarded materials are used as feedstock at
low or no cost
- Los Angeles County communities move closer to meeting the state's goal of reducing
disposal by 50%
- Virgin raw materials (and the energy to process them) are conserved.
- Get Email Notification about the Los Angeles County Materials Exchange. Please click here to register.
If you prefer to make your excess materials available to worthy causes, we encourage
you to donate these materials to Los Angeles County schools or non-profit organizations
through the exchange. Because of their limited resources, schools face a constant
challenge to provide students with needed equipment and supplies. Donations are
also essential to many non-profit organizations. As an added benefit, you or your
business can often claim income tax deductions for these donations (consult your
tax preparer). To list your free material, go to our POST ITEM page, complete the
Post Item Form, and check the box for school or non-profit organization. Your listing
will be posted on the exchange with a special note to designate that items is available
for free to non-profits and schools only. All LACoMAX visitors will still be able
to view your listing.